2017.04 Release notes
We are glad to announce that Hipster 2017.04 snapshot is available.
This release is the first one to be signed and verifiable by GPG. The OpenIndiana Release Engineering key has key id 0x3a021afadbe31887.
The public key:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- mQINBFkHrmsBEADCHjW1mu/SgnV0nshQO6Ma+mQ6NNumGN6NdCTaWyfvjLGde17o RBLLLVbt0+OpB3EW2Im+X6Zxnisq+V2LsFsamqGJXH84y0ubPxZH9y8O86CGBJPX USsG9rldpLkBAkHtxDrDAt4GyD5090Z9otH2RgBmjWTzEHqVBwrKEUUJkiWP0QUY 5kZ60suX3DtqdC3uCEg4NNTMCPLOY3WJr6X2eDJ6DjZYFZ+SmjCD9X5rCzLQqmvW bADO839815pUSZa+YJn6chgSGwqtWcg62al3EXB+TaqLyoiwO2Xw1qlWfUitMc6Q rTYD+K4gh/8Fiz7Mn7MUYzPUT+vHBGui2/MzQycXGRH3kK3j7/a/lsN2AmxYJWag wSMTDiOlm6f/eAk/E5mnquGzgSQkDcMAYijUDW98Zwy7y4zMLT2D2il6FalZkTYj 3ALdcewFSdZjsm7vJxG2uHRNh7vNcZyOZkYgvBoD4Ndb0vkj2LaO1lIUvTyVPeS4 sbyTUw38asw3jPU2A6hd9YMZypfd5YsiyQCDrWGuVCCl3lfb4dfCra+3wwyExDz0 3YGzfVvxSgSexljvQQQ/xbATbDstBYj+JD16fH6mEJg0cEzp84rlTIOXCpksluFL yJQ9xkHVmAUYQhBRHhRpm3H6B12hze/zp/RwIAIG53CSsbSY5c7hbJIMlwARAQAB tB9PcGVuSW5kaWFuYSBSZWxlYXNlIEVuZ2luZWVyaW5niQI9BBMBCgAnBQJZB65r AhsDBQkFo5qABQsJCAcDBRUKCQgLBRYCAwEAAh4BAheAAAoJEDoCGvrb4xiHfPkP /A9MlvGKkuinRv7O+R//CBKCFmW6MgHWdcvA4FEAkvlHCJ/vYeBahKd0LIog642t LmhLZ+wVUhsGZIq4ORRLCM4s/SLXohMuaWNdghGu1EhIYrTq8jhj2Ph1OChFXo9S RhXn4Pnd7CtyNypECw291tO8d70RcEGM4kWiZLQE755luU7TrXM2X7YEcUeakzvv mTbJ+SQhDpeAEIP4qtHru+EvwbHtyemdYKMBPHXE98ucrqfqCqFKDFdqxWpvbdUe TeSgme+PSz25V3DxDcuSqHp4+WM6vSfiZ5T6Tk2u40vyu9kWePTeYWoFMvzXlbjq mYwrIPmcQ6B1iifzOfI/cZHyFbcLxBLDf3uuQb7I8JNYkZB70IHHCTif1HIBKiUv g/zZQq+0q4IelbSEXq+COZ0uFCjhDpZaPJ1DXFHXOKD5BJeOct9LnuDAg4Usenq1 yBmFuWut0U/Z9NY7U3TES6ZaG25i9/QZa59qFY6YW5n9WiSiuCP2vYhi9p33iLEy uUHnmdk/XgRHA1if5tkRQqVsj5RkoDP5xAhADnJe2tW11cCZAe8yc0LA/VAiQLdA 9iz5NgNLgSDfDUAw0jGtH96xClGaMlv9ysnsnamH9SIkRs+HA4/eD4/kaQiXjKWc pcX95GCFCTHMYW4iVPV/m7gjx4IMGUdJZWVHSGMcTAk0uQINBFkHrmsBEADPJ23B EVN3kdM/zuvG8B41k9yk9MNQXLzI/FnTJ1hgTQH+HvRSix4bIsOo7U2t4+CB6wUy 5xRVcIO7DKdoHzMBqXfVFIkUti1k9CFZx37oLaYBsldE6rL7ZchQKileICYAWze3 bnTe/b6ZaWNVs1yMk79MJ/DF8z1RNeZsPFxBrXE5vh973+k0hkDZfi9bULdmQroL gniBS5aSc2pGdl3UNqSx+CcyS+/Jrn4LDnPHj3mx7WGlJLc/Lw0uYZxSZM3FAj7/ zrsLgnP4/xdcCMTcbVbC6L7VBSIE+hE6ppdrKwoLp7C2cyA14DnHM+heqx8Dqtf6 acIc8txyUB7zShGC5Fhp37YnhrHGnUrDxxYi99OfNChXAbwtR5z8Leicijplc/NF oibGSLLC8NvFkzuWIIuqZK8l2/UZmER7Nt7hhHszilsnAJenwvYCIVEqJsrdsTUf iiYm5AifwhU018Ia5As9kvBqymMy2bYSbZZVic+WXb6StWHugjKSFJmCo2h66QsI giHNJEvOxybANlSkxI6t38EipGvvW1dlROBuL/RZOQvSJL7SRlclOeQF4ZtPBMFy yI5p3DBZbIHChdaH5OE0U7zk+qt1hvO+HSh8Yc1OVBd6pziAay5L6S8jsBKDPjJr 7OTUuHJL00teBe3SORS8BACkg6+/6Yk9a3lSiQARAQABiQIlBBgBCgAPBQJZB65r AhsMBQkFo5qAAAoJEDoCGvrb4xiHUqcP/iOUf55a2rU5N/tlZsn2fd+O6U2V4Iym YYysJ5OZJj0baDmL+SSmNarem+ogRcpBmKX3LFNgGnEoRVaeILQApri5JelCSEhC Ex5Xwk1WOqXTRWV9flbVU/rTSiCNDUySaaJDCVOQ07TEQ/bDShkR0X+MyCzklgbZ rZnj+spaPeDnpIkfwfG2aKiJ0hq9KATBwdREcP9f/R7LaAdmcbr89Ya4iPEmaDYO gh/t83zH45XKiWxXwb9rn9U2szWLOfx8rMTTRhYWBPB+K7RX8mGoiphqtMOJYhNA N7AVm+9LRVxRcnmWyf1cQKF8FG1j9FBlaeNUAFefpvvcBffTFvPnpqOaSZm7nu6l NwWT2N0IHdr9daET0ewvL2poMkE9P3abPmEjQYFMobg3ZiPs7e5TeplvVFtC2y89 47Gow54KIVS2cbeSVCPlCj/B8GmEjkAsGmjDtGTk45LiJptv6h5lH95YGUafI97U xLSEJJ+mab1iSRqDCn8lVlfjvAp6Hv/DW9sr6lutQuzZjxhFi5rsly1C40rkOni/ pByJDW47+VERp2wxvJdVVUZEge53IHTgrruHs/tWUsJNEswkHQ7OsY5u7bEcPUlW Stua8WJo5U4cN0abgrRAXnXXBWi2bNbYe8xnH+OsOghb1gRg3N99G/TthoziPQ1I cuYxZQalebJS =fC+/ -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
How to verify:
<ISO>.sha256sum.ascfile from mirror
gpg2 --verify <ISO>.sha256sum.asc. You should see the following output:
gpg: Signature made Tue May 2 14:29:55 2017 CEST gpg: using RSA key 0x3A021AFADBE31887 gpg: Good signature from "OpenIndiana Release Engineering" [unknown] gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature! gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner. Primary key fingerprint: F5E9 84E5 ADD2 9578 D45C C1FE 3A02 1AFA DBE3 1887
Even if the output includes:
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature! gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
The signature is still correct.
digest -a sha256 <ISO> and check the ISO checksum as previously.
General system changes
The most notable change for this snapshot is related to hardware support. OI now fully supports USB 3.0 devices. Intel Video drivers were significantly improved by Gordon Ross. The list of supported hardware has significantly extended.
Xorg was updated to 1.18.4 version, so if you use any third-party modules – they might need recompilation or update (notably, the VirtualBox Guest Additions).
Mate was updated to 1.16 version. We started shipping GTK3 applications. Several Gnome 2 applications, which don't have Mate analogs, were updated to Gnome 3 versions. A lot of end user applications are delivered now as 64-bit only.
Installer no longer creates the classic auto_home layout, as it was a source of confusion to the users. Default home filesystem is created under rpool/export/home now. Old-school users or those with more complicated setups are free to set up the legacy configuration in their systems, the functionality is still there.
We thoroughly tested IPS and imported several upstream fixes. Now IPS uses Apache 2.4 as its internal web server.
GNU TLS 3.4 is the default TLS implementation now. We also introduced ca-certificates service to regenerate the CA bundle.
Notice: on some resource-constrained systems
ca-certificates service can fail to start immediately after system install.
Later SMF takes care and restarts it, but you can see error messages on first boot.
The issue is being investigated.
Notice: if you upgrade from earlier versions, you can see errors about failing metainit service. It was removed from the system, but SMF fails to notice it. Just remove the service manually for now in this case:
# svcadm disable -s svc:/system/metainit ; svccfg delete svc:/system/metainit
Desktop software and libraries
- Xorg was updated to 1.18.4, xorg libraries and drivers were updated.
- Mate was updated to 1.16
- Intel video driver was updated, the list of supported hardware has significantly extended
- libsmb was updated to 4.4.6
- gvfs was updated to 1.26.0
- gtk3 was updated to 3.18.9
- Nimbus theme was updated to look better with GTK3, so we started shipping GTK3 applications
- Rhythmbox was updated to 3.4.1
- Major text editors were updated (we ship vim 8.0.104, joe 4.4, emacs 25.2, nano 2.7.5
- pulseaudio was updated to 10.0
- firefox was updated to 45.9.0
- thunderbird was updated to 45.8.0
- critical issue in enlightenment was fixed, now it's operational again
- privoxy was updated to 3.0.26
- cdrtools were updated to 3.02a7
- gthumb was updated to 18.104.22.168
- brasero was updated to 3.12.1
- critical issue in sound-juicer was fixed, now it's operational again
- Gstreamer 1.10.3 and gstreamer 1.0 plugins were integrated
- WebkitGTK2 was updated to 2.14.5
- Mesa was updated to 13.0.6
- Nvidia driver was updated to 340.102
Development tools and libraries
- GCC 6 was added. Patches necessary to compile illumos-gate with GCC 6 were added (note, compiling illumos-gate with version other than illumos-gcc-4.4.4 is not supported)
- Bison was updated to 3.0.4
- Groovy 2.4 was added
- Ruby 1.9 was removed, Ruby 2.3 is the default Ruby now
- Perl 5.16 was removed. 64-bit Perl 5.24 is shipped.
- 64-bit OpenJDK 8 is the default OpenJDK version now.
- Mercurial was updated to 4.1.3
- Git was updated to 2.12.2
- ccache was updated to 3.3.3
- QT 5.8.0 was added
- Valgrind was updated to 3.12.0
- PostgreSQL 9.6 was added, PostgreSQL 9.3-9.5 were updated to latest minor versions
- MongoDB 3.4 was added
- MariaDB 10.1 was added
- NodeJS 7 was added
- Percona Server 5.5/5.6/5.7 and MariaDB 5.5 were updated to latest minor versions
- OpenVPN was updated to 2.4.1
- ISC Bind was updated to 9.10.4-P8
- Squid was updated to 3.5.25
- Nginx was updated to 1.12.0
- Apache 2.4 was updated to 2.4.25. Apache 2.4 is the default Apache server now. Apache 2.2 will be removed before the next snapshot.
- ISC ntpd was updated to 4.2.8p10
- OpenSSH was updated to 7.4p1
- Samba was updated to 4.4.12
- Tcpdump was updated to 4.9.0
- Snort was updated to 22.214.171.124
- Puppet was updated to 3.8.6
A lot of other bug fixes and minor software updates included.
As always, we are proud to deliver to you latest illumos-gate bits (i.e. illumos-48d8443e35).