2018.10 Release notes
We are glad to announce that Hipster 2018.10 snapshot is available.
This release is signed and verifiable by GPG. The OpenIndiana Release Engineering key has key id 0x3a021afadbe31887.
The public key:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- mQINBFkHrmsBEADCHjW1mu/SgnV0nshQO6Ma+mQ6NNumGN6NdCTaWyfvjLGde17o RBLLLVbt0+OpB3EW2Im+X6Zxnisq+V2LsFsamqGJXH84y0ubPxZH9y8O86CGBJPX USsG9rldpLkBAkHtxDrDAt4GyD5090Z9otH2RgBmjWTzEHqVBwrKEUUJkiWP0QUY 5kZ60suX3DtqdC3uCEg4NNTMCPLOY3WJr6X2eDJ6DjZYFZ+SmjCD9X5rCzLQqmvW bADO839815pUSZa+YJn6chgSGwqtWcg62al3EXB+TaqLyoiwO2Xw1qlWfUitMc6Q rTYD+K4gh/8Fiz7Mn7MUYzPUT+vHBGui2/MzQycXGRH3kK3j7/a/lsN2AmxYJWag wSMTDiOlm6f/eAk/E5mnquGzgSQkDcMAYijUDW98Zwy7y4zMLT2D2il6FalZkTYj 3ALdcewFSdZjsm7vJxG2uHRNh7vNcZyOZkYgvBoD4Ndb0vkj2LaO1lIUvTyVPeS4 sbyTUw38asw3jPU2A6hd9YMZypfd5YsiyQCDrWGuVCCl3lfb4dfCra+3wwyExDz0 3YGzfVvxSgSexljvQQQ/xbATbDstBYj+JD16fH6mEJg0cEzp84rlTIOXCpksluFL yJQ9xkHVmAUYQhBRHhRpm3H6B12hze/zp/RwIAIG53CSsbSY5c7hbJIMlwARAQAB tB9PcGVuSW5kaWFuYSBSZWxlYXNlIEVuZ2luZWVyaW5niQI9BBMBCgAnBQJZB65r AhsDBQkFo5qABQsJCAcDBRUKCQgLBRYCAwEAAh4BAheAAAoJEDoCGvrb4xiHfPkP /A9MlvGKkuinRv7O+R//CBKCFmW6MgHWdcvA4FEAkvlHCJ/vYeBahKd0LIog642t LmhLZ+wVUhsGZIq4ORRLCM4s/SLXohMuaWNdghGu1EhIYrTq8jhj2Ph1OChFXo9S RhXn4Pnd7CtyNypECw291tO8d70RcEGM4kWiZLQE755luU7TrXM2X7YEcUeakzvv mTbJ+SQhDpeAEIP4qtHru+EvwbHtyemdYKMBPHXE98ucrqfqCqFKDFdqxWpvbdUe TeSgme+PSz25V3DxDcuSqHp4+WM6vSfiZ5T6Tk2u40vyu9kWePTeYWoFMvzXlbjq mYwrIPmcQ6B1iifzOfI/cZHyFbcLxBLDf3uuQb7I8JNYkZB70IHHCTif1HIBKiUv g/zZQq+0q4IelbSEXq+COZ0uFCjhDpZaPJ1DXFHXOKD5BJeOct9LnuDAg4Usenq1 yBmFuWut0U/Z9NY7U3TES6ZaG25i9/QZa59qFY6YW5n9WiSiuCP2vYhi9p33iLEy uUHnmdk/XgRHA1if5tkRQqVsj5RkoDP5xAhADnJe2tW11cCZAe8yc0LA/VAiQLdA 9iz5NgNLgSDfDUAw0jGtH96xClGaMlv9ysnsnamH9SIkRs+HA4/eD4/kaQiXjKWc pcX95GCFCTHMYW4iVPV/m7gjx4IMGUdJZWVHSGMcTAk0uQINBFkHrmsBEADPJ23B EVN3kdM/zuvG8B41k9yk9MNQXLzI/FnTJ1hgTQH+HvRSix4bIsOo7U2t4+CB6wUy 5xRVcIO7DKdoHzMBqXfVFIkUti1k9CFZx37oLaYBsldE6rL7ZchQKileICYAWze3 bnTe/b6ZaWNVs1yMk79MJ/DF8z1RNeZsPFxBrXE5vh973+k0hkDZfi9bULdmQroL gniBS5aSc2pGdl3UNqSx+CcyS+/Jrn4LDnPHj3mx7WGlJLc/Lw0uYZxSZM3FAj7/ zrsLgnP4/xdcCMTcbVbC6L7VBSIE+hE6ppdrKwoLp7C2cyA14DnHM+heqx8Dqtf6 acIc8txyUB7zShGC5Fhp37YnhrHGnUrDxxYi99OfNChXAbwtR5z8Leicijplc/NF oibGSLLC8NvFkzuWIIuqZK8l2/UZmER7Nt7hhHszilsnAJenwvYCIVEqJsrdsTUf iiYm5AifwhU018Ia5As9kvBqymMy2bYSbZZVic+WXb6StWHugjKSFJmCo2h66QsI giHNJEvOxybANlSkxI6t38EipGvvW1dlROBuL/RZOQvSJL7SRlclOeQF4ZtPBMFy yI5p3DBZbIHChdaH5OE0U7zk+qt1hvO+HSh8Yc1OVBd6pziAay5L6S8jsBKDPjJr 7OTUuHJL00teBe3SORS8BACkg6+/6Yk9a3lSiQARAQABiQIlBBgBCgAPBQJZB65r AhsMBQkFo5qAAAoJEDoCGvrb4xiHUqcP/iOUf55a2rU5N/tlZsn2fd+O6U2V4Iym YYysJ5OZJj0baDmL+SSmNarem+ogRcpBmKX3LFNgGnEoRVaeILQApri5JelCSEhC Ex5Xwk1WOqXTRWV9flbVU/rTSiCNDUySaaJDCVOQ07TEQ/bDShkR0X+MyCzklgbZ rZnj+spaPeDnpIkfwfG2aKiJ0hq9KATBwdREcP9f/R7LaAdmcbr89Ya4iPEmaDYO gh/t83zH45XKiWxXwb9rn9U2szWLOfx8rMTTRhYWBPB+K7RX8mGoiphqtMOJYhNA N7AVm+9LRVxRcnmWyf1cQKF8FG1j9FBlaeNUAFefpvvcBffTFvPnpqOaSZm7nu6l NwWT2N0IHdr9daET0ewvL2poMkE9P3abPmEjQYFMobg3ZiPs7e5TeplvVFtC2y89 47Gow54KIVS2cbeSVCPlCj/B8GmEjkAsGmjDtGTk45LiJptv6h5lH95YGUafI97U xLSEJJ+mab1iSRqDCn8lVlfjvAp6Hv/DW9sr6lutQuzZjxhFi5rsly1C40rkOni/ pByJDW47+VERp2wxvJdVVUZEge53IHTgrruHs/tWUsJNEswkHQ7OsY5u7bEcPUlW Stua8WJo5U4cN0abgrRAXnXXBWi2bNbYe8xnH+OsOghb1gRg3N99G/TthoziPQ1I cuYxZQalebJS =fC+/ -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
How to verify:
<ISO>.sigfile from mirror
gpg2 --verify <ISO>.sig <ISO>. You should see the following output:
gpg: Signature made October 23, 2018 at 03:15:31 PM UTC using RSA key ID DBE31887 gpg: Good signature from "OpenIndiana Release Engineering" [unknown] Primary key fingerprint: F5E9 84E5 ADD2 9578 D45C C1FE 3A02 1AFA DBE3 1887
Even if the output includes:
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature! gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
The signature is still correct.
General system changes
Work on delivering 64-bit-only applications continues: another batch of 50 components was migrated to 64-bit while most newly added software defaults to 64-bit.
Note, that although ISO and USB images support booting in UEFI mode, it's still work in progress. VGA console is not supported when system is booted in UEFI mode and installer still misses some steps to create bootable UEFI images.
Python 3.5 is now delivered and numerous Python modules were updated. Image Packaging System was fixed to work with updated modules. A lot of fixes from OmniOS CE IPS and Oracle IPS were integrated to OI IPS.
Due to recent security fixes compatibilty with some Solaris applications was broken. Most noticeable one is VirtualBox.
GCC 8 was added alongside GCC 6 and GCC 7: these compiler packages include modifications for building illumos.
Late news (known issues)
It was found that due to bug in vmnat new OpenSSH client behind VMware NAT fails to communicate with outside servers (connection terminates with broken pipe after authentication). Recommended workaround is to add "IPQoS throughput" to your /etc/ssh/ssh_config.
Desktop software and libraries
- MATE 1.20 was integrated.
- Xorg 1.19.6 is still shipped as main X server; Xorg 1.20 is in testing and could not make it for the snapshot.
- Xorg libraries and applications are updated to latest.
- Most Xorg driver modules were updated to latest unless DRM limitations prevented it.
- compiz updated to 0.8.14 and made compatible with the MATE desktop.
- Freetype was updated to 2.8.1, fontconfig was updated to 2.13.1.
- awesome was updated to 4.2.
- PulseAudio was updated to 12.2.
- Gstreamer was updated to 1.14.4
- GTK+2 was updated to 2.24.32. GTK+3 was updated to 3.24.1, Nimbus theme was rebased on to top of the B00merang Project theme and updated to work with new GTK+.
- glib2 was updated to 2.57.1.
- LightDM was updated to 1.26. LightDM GTK Greeter was updated to 2.0.5 and uses Nimbus theme.
- Firefox was updated to 52.9.0 (Firefox 60 ESR is in testing but not ready for the snapshot), Thunderbird was updated to 52.9.1.
- Pidgin was updated to 2.13.0.
- XScreenSaver was updated to 5.40.
- NVIDIA driver was updated to 340.107.
- Transmission was updated to 2.94.
- TigerVNC was updated to 1.8.0.
- open-vm-tools for VMware guests were updated to 10.3.0, desktop plugin was enabled.
- DBus was updated to 1.12.8, illumos HAL was made compatible.
- terminus and hack fonts were updated, FiraCode fonts were added.
- VLC 2.2.8 and multimedia libraries were migrated to 64-bit; VLC 3.0.4 is still in testing.
- Inkscape was updated to 0.92.3.
- libusb-1 was updated to 1.0.22.
Common tools and libraries
- Many utilities are now 64-bit-only.
- zsh, bash and pdsh shells were updated. zsh and bash syntax highlighting support was enhanced.
- Midnight Commander was updated to 4.8.21.
- curl was updated to 7.61.1.
- GNU awk was updated to 4.2.1, GNU sed was updated to 4.5, GNU findutils were updated to 4.6.0, GNU coreutils were updated to 8.30.
- git was updated to 2.19.1, mercurial (hg) was updated to 4.6.1.
- vim was updated to 8.1.436, nano and joe editors were updated as well.
- Ghostspcript was updated to 9.25.
- htop was ported to illumos and version 2.2.0 added, top now works correctly in batch mode.
- less was updated to version 530.
- mutt was updated to 1.10.1.
Development tools and libraries
- Added new compiler: GCC 8.2.0. openMPI was updated to 3.1.2, binutils were updated to 2.31.1.
- cmake was updated to 3.12.3.
- ninja was updated to 1.8.2.
- nasm was updated to 2.13.03.
- cpuid 1.6.3 was added.
- hwloc was updated to ABI incompatible 2.0.1.
- PETSc was updated to 3.7.7, eigen3 to 3.3.5, arpack to 3.6.3.
- clang is now compiled 64-bit-only.
- Python 3.5 was added, many python modules are now shipped for Python 3.5 as well as for 2.7 and 3.4.
- Python 3.4 was updated to 3.4.9, Python 2.7 was updated to 2.7.15.
- rust 1.29.1 was added.
- ccl (Clozure Common Lisp) version 1.11.5 was added and is used for compilation of pgloader instead of sbcl (Steel Bank Common Lisp).
- sbcl threading support was disabled, as it was broken after KPTI changes.
- OpenJDK 8 was updated to 1.8.172.
- libpqxx was updated to ABI-incompatible 6.2.4 version
- cherrypy was updated to 17.3.0.
- Pango was updated to 1.42.4.
- PCRE was updated to 8.42, PCRE2 10.31 was added.
- dejagnu was updated to 1.6.1.
- KVM hypervisor was updated with patches from Joyent port to work with latest illumos. Now KVM zone brand is supported and users can manage their VMs as illumos zones (see documentation here).
- QEMU now supports GUI console (VNC and serial consoles are available as well).
- OpenSSH was updated to 7.8p1.
- PostgreSQL versions 9.4 thru 10 were updated to their latest minor versions.
- MariaDB 10.1 was updated, MariaDB 10.3 was added. Percona Server 5.6 and 5.7 were updated. Berkeley DB was updated as well.
- MongoDB 3.4 was updated. MongoDB 4.0 was added.
- Apache HTTP 2.4 was updated to 2.4.35.
- Apache Tomcat 6 was dropped. Tomcat 8 was updated to 8.0.53.
- Postfix was updated to 3.3.1. Configuration format was changed.
- Samba was updated to 4.8.5.
- Node.js was updated to 6.14.4 and 8.12.0, version 10.10.0 was added and version 7 was removed.
- Salstack 2018.3.2 was added.
- clamav was updated to 0.100.2.
- haproxy was updated to 1.8.14.
- znapzend 0.18.0 was added.
A lot of other bug fixes and minor software updates are included.
Automated test tool/framework performs installation image generation and testing on a regular basis.
Userland components were patched to build with GCC 8.2 and published to the testing repository.
As always, we are proud to ship the latest illumos-gate bits (42a3762).
- 9506 QLogic QL41000/45000 series devices are supported.
- 9693 NVMe from ESXi 6.7 is now usable.
- 9249 NVMe works as a system crash dump device.
- 8158 Named Threads API was added.
- 6375 Native name demangling support for C++ was added (binary-only libdemangle.so from Sun Studio is still present).
- 9815 Basic AHCI enclosure services.
- 1700 Add SCSI UNMAP support.
- 8115 Parallel
zfs mountis now supported.
eventfd(3C)event notification works in zones.
- 9664 Support for UEFI32 (even on 64-bit machines) was added.
memset_s(3C)was ported from FreeBSD.
- A lot of fixes by Toomas Soome make illumos closer to be compiled by GCC 7 and newer compilers.
- 9812 headers are now free from excessive SUS compiler checks, hence application porting should be easier.
- 9627 32-bit boot archive is not being generated.
- 9598 Eager FPU restore defeats side channel attacks. See CVE-2018-3665.