2019.04 Release notes
We are glad to announce that Hipster 2019.04 snapshot is available.
This release is signed and verifiable by GPG. The OpenIndiana Release Engineering key has key id 0x3a021afadbe31887.
The public key:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- mQINBFkHrmsBEADCHjW1mu/SgnV0nshQO6Ma+mQ6NNumGN6NdCTaWyfvjLGde17o RBLLLVbt0+OpB3EW2Im+X6Zxnisq+V2LsFsamqGJXH84y0ubPxZH9y8O86CGBJPX USsG9rldpLkBAkHtxDrDAt4GyD5090Z9otH2RgBmjWTzEHqVBwrKEUUJkiWP0QUY 5kZ60suX3DtqdC3uCEg4NNTMCPLOY3WJr6X2eDJ6DjZYFZ+SmjCD9X5rCzLQqmvW bADO839815pUSZa+YJn6chgSGwqtWcg62al3EXB+TaqLyoiwO2Xw1qlWfUitMc6Q rTYD+K4gh/8Fiz7Mn7MUYzPUT+vHBGui2/MzQycXGRH3kK3j7/a/lsN2AmxYJWag wSMTDiOlm6f/eAk/E5mnquGzgSQkDcMAYijUDW98Zwy7y4zMLT2D2il6FalZkTYj 3ALdcewFSdZjsm7vJxG2uHRNh7vNcZyOZkYgvBoD4Ndb0vkj2LaO1lIUvTyVPeS4 sbyTUw38asw3jPU2A6hd9YMZypfd5YsiyQCDrWGuVCCl3lfb4dfCra+3wwyExDz0 3YGzfVvxSgSexljvQQQ/xbATbDstBYj+JD16fH6mEJg0cEzp84rlTIOXCpksluFL yJQ9xkHVmAUYQhBRHhRpm3H6B12hze/zp/RwIAIG53CSsbSY5c7hbJIMlwARAQAB tB9PcGVuSW5kaWFuYSBSZWxlYXNlIEVuZ2luZWVyaW5niQI9BBMBCgAnBQJZB65r AhsDBQkFo5qABQsJCAcDBRUKCQgLBRYCAwEAAh4BAheAAAoJEDoCGvrb4xiHfPkP /A9MlvGKkuinRv7O+R//CBKCFmW6MgHWdcvA4FEAkvlHCJ/vYeBahKd0LIog642t LmhLZ+wVUhsGZIq4ORRLCM4s/SLXohMuaWNdghGu1EhIYrTq8jhj2Ph1OChFXo9S RhXn4Pnd7CtyNypECw291tO8d70RcEGM4kWiZLQE755luU7TrXM2X7YEcUeakzvv mTbJ+SQhDpeAEIP4qtHru+EvwbHtyemdYKMBPHXE98ucrqfqCqFKDFdqxWpvbdUe TeSgme+PSz25V3DxDcuSqHp4+WM6vSfiZ5T6Tk2u40vyu9kWePTeYWoFMvzXlbjq mYwrIPmcQ6B1iifzOfI/cZHyFbcLxBLDf3uuQb7I8JNYkZB70IHHCTif1HIBKiUv g/zZQq+0q4IelbSEXq+COZ0uFCjhDpZaPJ1DXFHXOKD5BJeOct9LnuDAg4Usenq1 yBmFuWut0U/Z9NY7U3TES6ZaG25i9/QZa59qFY6YW5n9WiSiuCP2vYhi9p33iLEy uUHnmdk/XgRHA1if5tkRQqVsj5RkoDP5xAhADnJe2tW11cCZAe8yc0LA/VAiQLdA 9iz5NgNLgSDfDUAw0jGtH96xClGaMlv9ysnsnamH9SIkRs+HA4/eD4/kaQiXjKWc pcX95GCFCTHMYW4iVPV/m7gjx4IMGUdJZWVHSGMcTAk0uQINBFkHrmsBEADPJ23B EVN3kdM/zuvG8B41k9yk9MNQXLzI/FnTJ1hgTQH+HvRSix4bIsOo7U2t4+CB6wUy 5xRVcIO7DKdoHzMBqXfVFIkUti1k9CFZx37oLaYBsldE6rL7ZchQKileICYAWze3 bnTe/b6ZaWNVs1yMk79MJ/DF8z1RNeZsPFxBrXE5vh973+k0hkDZfi9bULdmQroL gniBS5aSc2pGdl3UNqSx+CcyS+/Jrn4LDnPHj3mx7WGlJLc/Lw0uYZxSZM3FAj7/ zrsLgnP4/xdcCMTcbVbC6L7VBSIE+hE6ppdrKwoLp7C2cyA14DnHM+heqx8Dqtf6 acIc8txyUB7zShGC5Fhp37YnhrHGnUrDxxYi99OfNChXAbwtR5z8Leicijplc/NF oibGSLLC8NvFkzuWIIuqZK8l2/UZmER7Nt7hhHszilsnAJenwvYCIVEqJsrdsTUf iiYm5AifwhU018Ia5As9kvBqymMy2bYSbZZVic+WXb6StWHugjKSFJmCo2h66QsI giHNJEvOxybANlSkxI6t38EipGvvW1dlROBuL/RZOQvSJL7SRlclOeQF4ZtPBMFy yI5p3DBZbIHChdaH5OE0U7zk+qt1hvO+HSh8Yc1OVBd6pziAay5L6S8jsBKDPjJr 7OTUuHJL00teBe3SORS8BACkg6+/6Yk9a3lSiQARAQABiQIlBBgBCgAPBQJZB65r AhsMBQkFo5qAAAoJEDoCGvrb4xiHUqcP/iOUf55a2rU5N/tlZsn2fd+O6U2V4Iym YYysJ5OZJj0baDmL+SSmNarem+ogRcpBmKX3LFNgGnEoRVaeILQApri5JelCSEhC Ex5Xwk1WOqXTRWV9flbVU/rTSiCNDUySaaJDCVOQ07TEQ/bDShkR0X+MyCzklgbZ rZnj+spaPeDnpIkfwfG2aKiJ0hq9KATBwdREcP9f/R7LaAdmcbr89Ya4iPEmaDYO gh/t83zH45XKiWxXwb9rn9U2szWLOfx8rMTTRhYWBPB+K7RX8mGoiphqtMOJYhNA N7AVm+9LRVxRcnmWyf1cQKF8FG1j9FBlaeNUAFefpvvcBffTFvPnpqOaSZm7nu6l NwWT2N0IHdr9daET0ewvL2poMkE9P3abPmEjQYFMobg3ZiPs7e5TeplvVFtC2y89 47Gow54KIVS2cbeSVCPlCj/B8GmEjkAsGmjDtGTk45LiJptv6h5lH95YGUafI97U xLSEJJ+mab1iSRqDCn8lVlfjvAp6Hv/DW9sr6lutQuzZjxhFi5rsly1C40rkOni/ pByJDW47+VERp2wxvJdVVUZEge53IHTgrruHs/tWUsJNEswkHQ7OsY5u7bEcPUlW Stua8WJo5U4cN0abgrRAXnXXBWi2bNbYe8xnH+OsOghb1gRg3N99G/TthoziPQ1I cuYxZQalebJS =fC+/ -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
How to verify:
<ISO>.sigfile from mirror
gpg2 --verify <ISO>.sig <ISO>. You should see the following output:
gpg: Signature made October 23, 2018 at 03:15:31 PM UTC using RSA key ID DBE31887 gpg: Good signature from "OpenIndiana Release Engineering" [unknown] Primary key fingerprint: F5E9 84E5 ADD2 9578 D45C C1FE 3A02 1AFA DBE3 1887
Even if the output includes:
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature! gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
The signature is still correct.
General system changes
During this development cycle we've worked on fixing VirtualBox, updating Firefox and Mate.
Other noticeable changes include moving of some OI-specific applications from Python 2.7/GTK 2 to Python 3.5/GTK 3, merging updates from OmniOS CE IPS (including automatically named boot environments), rebuilding and fixing issues in libiconv conversion modules.
Late news (known issues)
Firefox can fail to spawn child processes on the first launch. After being restarted it runs fine.
In some scenarios Firefox hangs or crashes. In many cases enlarging the swap helps. In the example below we enlarge swap from 4 to 8 GB:
$ zfs get volsize rpool/swap NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE rpool/swap volsize 4G local $ pfexec zfs set volsize=8g rpool/swap $ pfexec reboot
Desktop software and libraries
- MATE 1.22 was integrated.
- Firefox was updated to 60 ESR
- VirtualBox 6.0 was integrated (including guest additions).
- Xorg fonts, tools and libraries were updated. xbacklight tool was added.
- Freetype was updated to 2.9.1, fontconfig was updated to 2.13.1.
- GTK+3 was updated to 3.24.8
- glib2 was updated to 2.58.3.
- LightDM was updated to 1.28
Common tools and libraries
- Updates for IPS were merged from OmniOS CE IPS, including automatically named boot environments (see documentation for details).
- Many utilities are now 64-bit-only.
- zsh, bash and pdsh shells were updated. zsh and bash syntax highlighting support was enhanced.
- GNU awk was updated to 5.0, GNU sed was updated to 4.7, GNU coreutils were updated to 8.31.
- vim was updated to 8.1.1002, nano was updated to 4.2.
- Ghostspcript was updated to 9.26.
- rename tool was added.
Development tools and libraries
- GCC compilers were updated to 6.5, 7.4 and 8.3.0, binutils were updated to 2.32
- git was updated to 2.21.0.
- cmake was updated to 3.12.4.
- Python 3.5, 3.4 and 2.7 were updated to latest minor versions.
- rust was updated to 1.32.0.
- Python modules were updated.
- Bison was updated to 3.3.2
- Golang 1.11 was added
- PHP 7.3 was added. PHP 5.6 was removed.
- Several illumos-specific commands like
svcadmnow have bash completions. To leverage them install the bash-completion package.
- gSOAP 2.8.83 was added
- zstd 1.3.8 was added.
- Apache 2.4 is 64-bit-only now
- OpenSSH was updated to 7.9p1.
- PostgreSQL 11 was added. PostgreSQL versions 9.4 thru 10 were updated to their latest minor versions. Citus extensions was added. Other PostgreSQL extensions were updated.
- MariaDB 10.1 was updated, MariaDB 10.3 was added. Percona Server 5.6 and 5.7 were updated. Berkeley DB was updated as well.
- MongoDB 3.4 and 4.0 were updated. MongoDB 3.3 was removed.
- Nginx was updated to 1.16.0.
- Samba was updated to 4.9.5.
- Node.js was updated to 12.2.0, 10.15.3, 8.16.0, 6.17.1.
- Ansible 2.7.5 was added.
A lot of other bug fixes and minor software updates are included.
As always, we are proud to ship the latest illumos-gate bits (a547acf91a).
Following developers contributed to the 2019.04 snapshot with close to 500 commits. We very much appreciate their contributions:
- Alexander Pyhalov
- Andreas Grueninger
- Andreas Wacknitz
- Aurélien Larcher
- Gary Mills
- Ivan Maidanski
- Jason Martin
- Jean-Pierre André
- Jim Klimov
- Joshua M. Clulow
- Michal Nowak
- Nona Hansel
- Rouven Weiler
- Sebastian Wiedenroth
- Stephan Althaus
- Till Wegmüller
- Tim Mooney