2015.10 Release notes
So, after half a year we have new ISO:
There were a lot of changes since last snapshot. Note, we don't speak about release and prefer "snapshot" term.
General system changes
We synced IPS with Everycity version, which includes Oracle updates and fixes necessary for IPS to work on illumos. Two major changes from previous IPS shipped with OpenIndiana Hipster - now we have Python 2.7 IPS version (in addition to Python 2.6 one) and linked image is default zone type now. IPS knows about zones and enforces some restrictions - for example, now GZ's publisher list should be subset of NGS's publisher list.
Also distribution constructor was updated to use Python 2.7. Other changes include some preparations to support non-grub boot loaders. Text installer now creates separate FS for /var file system. We included text installer in GUI ISO images. The main issue with GUI installer is that it is written in C and there's no one supporting it. Text installer, written in python, is easier to maintain, so it gets more attention. So, GUI installer can be dropped in the next snapshot if we don't find people interested in syncing it with upstream and supporting it. GUI ISO images will be provided in any case.
Base Perl version was changed to 5.22.
Support for 5.16 is retained.
Perl 5.10 was completely removed, so you have to set
PERL_PKGVERS="-522" in your illumos.sh to build illumos-gate.
Sun JDK/JRE were completely removed and replaced with OpenJDK. OpenJDK was updated to 1.7.76.
Desktop software and libraries
- Xorg-related software is updated
- Xorg is updated to 1.14.7. Updating to later version (1.17.2) requires additional work on
radeon(7)driver, as our current driver doesn't work with updated Xorg and later versions require KMS support.
- libXft is updated to 2.3.2
- libX11 is updated to 1.6.3
- libXext is updated to 1.3.3
- freetype is updated to 2.5.5
- nvidia proprietary driver is updated to 340.93
- xauth is updated to 1.0.7
- libdrm is updated to 2.4.65
- libICE is updated to 1.0.9
- xfs is updated to 1.1.4
- Upstream Pulseaudio version (1.1) is integrated, gnome-volume-applet is removed. To use pulseaudio with gstreamer, launch gstreamer-properties and ensure that default output is set to "Autodetect" or "PulseAudio Sound Server". On audio output
pactl list sinksshould show /dev/dsp sink as
- Thunderbird is updated to 31.8.0
- Lcms2 is integrated. All software dependent on lcms was switched to lcms2.
- GIMP is updated to 2.8.14
- Inkscape 0.48.5 is integrated
- Synergy is updated to 1.7.4
- Compiz is updated to 0.8.10
- Ntfsprogs are updated to 2015.3.14
- Dbus is updated to 1.8.16
- Mesa is updated to 10.5.9
- Qt is updated to 4.8.7
Also note that now we provide separate /hipster-encumbered repository with multimedia software, which includes necessary gstreamer codecs and ffmpeg.
Development tools and libraries
- GCC is updated to 4.8.5
- Python 2.7 is updated to 2.7.10
- Ruby-22 is updated to 2.2.3
- PHP is updated to 5.5.29, 5.4.45
- Lua is updated to 5.2.4
- Cmake is updated to 220.127.116.11
- Nasm is updated to 2.11.8
- Yasm is updated to 1.3.0
- GNU binutils are updated to 2.25.1
- Nodejs is updated to 0.12.7
- Git is updated to 1.9.4. We still don't ship git 2, as it is incompatible with git 1.
- Mercurial is updated to 3.4.2
- Subversion is updated to 1.7.20
- GNU Patch is updated to 2.7.5
- ICU is updated to 55.1
- Boost is updated to 1.58.0
- Tomcat 6 is updated to 6.0.44, Tomcat 8.0.24 is added
- Apache 2.4 is updated to 2.4.16, Apache 2.2 - to 2.2.31
- mod_jk is updated to 1.2.41
- mod_perl is updated to 2.0.9
- Apache 1.3 is removed
- Nginx is updated to 1.8.0
- Lighttpd is updated to 1.4.36
- Mariadb is updated to 5.5.44, percona-server - to 18.104.22.168.2, 22.214.171.124.2
- MySQL 5.1 is removed
- OpenLDAP is updated to 2.4.42
- Samba 4.1.19 is added, Samba 3.6 is preserved as service/network/samba/samba36
- ISC Bind is updated to 9.9.7-P3
- ISC DHCPD is updated to 4.2.8
- KVM is updated to 20150903 Joyent version
- tcpdump is updated to 4.7.4
- mc is updated to 4.8.14
- OpenVPN is updated to 2.3.8
- bash is updated to 4.2.53
- logrotate is updated to 3.9.1 (but we encourage you to use logadm)
- mozilla-nss is updated to 3.19.2, mozilla-nspr - to 4.10.8
As for other news, I'd like to mention that SFE repository for OpenIndiana Hipster is available - http://sfe.opencsw.org/localhostoih/. Thanks to SFE team for their efforts.
As always, we are proud to deliver to you latest illumos-gate bits.
We integrated several changes from OpenIndiana /dev illumos-gate version to upstream illumos-gate.
Note, that in OI Hipster useradd ZFS create/destroy features are enabled by default (as in OI /dev), this is controlled by
There's also a lot of security fixes and small bug fixes.
As for missing things, I'd like to mention that we still don't deliver PHP 5.6. As PHP 5.4 is EOLed, we are going to remove it and add PHP 5.6. OpenOffice is still broken, but LibreOffice can be installed from SFE /localhostoih repository. It would be nice to port current radeon driver to Xorg 1.17.2. Mesa update to 11.x version is on the roadmap. And main issue which bugs me is ancient Firefox version. Unfortunately, I couldn't make plugins work in firefox 31, so we still ship FF 24.8.1.
Also I'd like to mention that we progressed in moving build receipts from legacy build systems to oi-userland. We miss only ~40 components from JDS (solaris-desktop~spec-files) and got about 100 packages from XNV (x-s12-clone) (about half is missing).