2020.04 Release notes
We are glad to announce that Hipster 2020.04 snapshot is available.
This release is signed and verifiable by GPG. The OpenIndiana Release Engineering key has key id 0x3a021afadbe31887.
The public key (note, the key was updated at 2020-05-05):
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- mQINBFkHrmsBEADCHjW1mu/SgnV0nshQO6Ma+mQ6NNumGN6NdCTaWyfvjLGde17o RBLLLVbt0+OpB3EW2Im+X6Zxnisq+V2LsFsamqGJXH84y0ubPxZH9y8O86CGBJPX USsG9rldpLkBAkHtxDrDAt4GyD5090Z9otH2RgBmjWTzEHqVBwrKEUUJkiWP0QUY 5kZ60suX3DtqdC3uCEg4NNTMCPLOY3WJr6X2eDJ6DjZYFZ+SmjCD9X5rCzLQqmvW bADO839815pUSZa+YJn6chgSGwqtWcg62al3EXB+TaqLyoiwO2Xw1qlWfUitMc6Q rTYD+K4gh/8Fiz7Mn7MUYzPUT+vHBGui2/MzQycXGRH3kK3j7/a/lsN2AmxYJWag wSMTDiOlm6f/eAk/E5mnquGzgSQkDcMAYijUDW98Zwy7y4zMLT2D2il6FalZkTYj 3ALdcewFSdZjsm7vJxG2uHRNh7vNcZyOZkYgvBoD4Ndb0vkj2LaO1lIUvTyVPeS4 sbyTUw38asw3jPU2A6hd9YMZypfd5YsiyQCDrWGuVCCl3lfb4dfCra+3wwyExDz0 3YGzfVvxSgSexljvQQQ/xbATbDstBYj+JD16fH6mEJg0cEzp84rlTIOXCpksluFL yJQ9xkHVmAUYQhBRHhRpm3H6B12hze/zp/RwIAIG53CSsbSY5c7hbJIMlwARAQAB tB9PcGVuSW5kaWFuYSBSZWxlYXNlIEVuZ2luZWVyaW5niQJUBBMBCgA+AhsDBQsJ CAcDBRUKCQgLBRYCAwEAAh4BAheAFiEE9emE5a3SlXjUXMH+OgIa+tvjGIcFAl6x A3sFCQlrvBAACgkQOgIa+tvjGId+/Q//X1gMVP4AL+lPwfxW8n885RjW9KNZ3477 gUyRRXL3hGPniZjzErECiZ56nFYQQ1CDeS84V22LX+bOgBMHABaH3fvYWt4QjcCz X4d3XZ40QEC9ukvTD3JGWqFgyodXg2ttEdwWpOv5U3HE6hmKpqyoPCAahdIc2/wv 0JHZmcQ1CJEfeyQyQk6Dq6woqHBUO/wS5wZisv+Nc1gxDXR5oX/voZ//EXIoR4Hg e+gVYAkt7gq4PDYwKOXaeztu9EjEwNqf3udMxmlnEDEc4xEWvjDoP3NwgKhOeczx Pcej3zwFa/xZI6ImzsC6BXj2OXjRAoRLNXN7r18vk7v20YPE4q0NAQGFDrbfqc0d 73p8qlodpRAWMPzBDDVbL8n6pgAgIHqvF9FGuyPQXdackzgqcfm08wdEEsaL7Wmh 6UEKCzEqFu0kvhv71KCMy6eFMshmOKiaok5KW02nQjXKhahEMJqdGR818kxHL37Y 8UcsVYMOJv3pIWQzbDSRn7PkezTJDAdxJQ6MqbGxjMWjQOdGSRJmhJHFx2d5/E+/ aMaRkD35HwzdpysGi28tq5FcJbPcG2V9ztShObrQermDM21OstmkM2QDfmdHz+ky cFvmd01YD2a0SIAxvEDYMp6Mrc+jVYEAgb9wtXPgaroNoaU47mDteZe5uIC5UeV2 NhEHmXxDSg+5Ag0EWQeuawEQAM8nbcERU3eR0z/O68bwHjWT3KT0w1BcvMj8WdMn WGBNAf4e9FKLHhsiw6jtTa3j4IHrBTLnFFVwg7sMp2gfMwGpd9UUiRS2LWT0IVnH fugtpgGyV0TqsvtlyFAqKV4gJgBbN7dudN79vplpY1WzXIyTv0wn8MXzPVE15mw8 XEGtcTm+H3vf6TSGQNl+L1tQt2ZCuguCeIFLlpJzakZ2XdQ2pLH4JzJL78mufgsO c8ePebHtYaUktz8vDS5hnFJkzcUCPv/OuwuCc/j/F1wIxNxtVsLovtUFIgT6ETqm l2srCgunsLZzIDXgOccz6F6rHwOq1/ppwhzy3HJQHvNKEYLkWGnftieGscadSsPH FiL30580KFcBvC1HnPwt6JyKOmVz80WiJsZIssLw28WTO5Ygi6pkryXb9RmYRHs2 3uGEezOKWycAl6fC9gIhUSomyt2xNR+KJibkCJ/CFTTXwhrkCz2S8GrKYzLZthJt llWJz5ZdvpK1Ye6CMpIUmYKjaHrpCwiCIc0kS87HJsA2VKTEjq3fwSKka+9bV2VE 4G4v9Fk5C9IkvtJGVyU55AXhm08EwXLIjmncMFlsgcKF1ofk4TRTvOT6q3WG874d KHxhzU5UF3qnOIBrLkvpLyOwEoM+Mmvs5NS4ckvTS14F7dI5FLwEAKSDr7/piT1r eVKJABEBAAGJAjwEGAEKACYCGwwWIQT16YTlrdKVeNRcwf46Ahr62+MYhwUCXrEE oQUJCWu9NgAKCRA6Ahr62+MYhx25D/9MIg57dnI3p4TBh0nqTE6AoMHCxc3I4Zr5 aV3vOzEWVoGVWtmg5nvNmDJZugwjJdOdYzU285C0qIKuMHXX25Za1kgcwNJ77u8q h6gonL0JDrpjoyoY5B3YXOX11RrOfUAE7ZjF25vOTbWVy+Cun15jGCqpt/mcIpN0 HVTHT+xNNwhN9DqkVCuV9ISqhLhDAAlBapDNKknidR1H0VAIs1EUQ5JmTO4kGeXH Bz1nXuq5Ou+PwyLWWiVts2fJTJ654hSKVJcWEhkzo2lcbPL3oPB2qhWDEkiJfo/d liy4dUZEg5d4dHYSxUeGXaFnPtHpSry7tmXUAyj/YCe4VkIvApAMdCIgw/dx9dRZ kmbtIcv206ufFEIMsK8ZUj8xbFyy7RKsw/P5KuYrxbWXi1s2hh2L6rspPqCyAJPY /ylBsta6lnnT9+osaqa2eCZecPoKlWkqIyq0ceee5tyRFUwFRqTYYMJtQDhEdNby VX1qgKgbQ9bQHk+Icxd6SJFzIpLBzYM2rhO0P6MNXuAooivQlwsXXYaapxs+MhCo 8gH4Hf0lAxAzHSrJcHTHV3rxZ9a70yD5ZW4P393ro/C/fUPetcnH4a0ltVb4o/Tq RHXmRnVmJlfcFtTM0p89U3S51uC3KBHcsRoDijrUwEP8Hj/NePah0lDCjYqhb93X FcTZ+7bRiQ== =niUq -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
How to verify:
<ISO>.sigfile from mirror
gpg2 --verify <ISO>.sig <ISO>. You should see the following output:
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory! gpg: Signature made May 5, 2020 at 06:18:21 AM UTC gpg: using RSA key F5E984E5ADD29578D45CC1FE3A021AFADBE31887 gpg: Good signature from "OpenIndiana Release Engineering" [ultimate]
Even if the output includes:
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature! gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
The signature is still correct.
General system changes
All OpenIndiana system software was rewritten in Python 3. Installation images now don't deliver Python 2.7 interpreters or libraries, however some software still requires Python 2.7. We've moved to GCC 7 as the default compiler.
Desktop software and libraries
- LibreOffice 6.4.3 was added. There are some issues with GTK 3 theme, so "gen" VCL plugin is used by default. You can experiment with GTK3 plugin, setting SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN environment variable to gtk3 explicitly.
- VirtualBox was updated to 6.1.6. There are some issues with direct and VNC consoles with non-EFI guests.
- VLC was updated to 3.0.10
- ntfsprogs were updated to 2017.3.23AR.5
- 32-bit versions of basic xorg tools were dropped
- hplip was updated to 3.19.12
- rhythmbox was updated to 3.4.4
- Gstreamer was updated to 1.16.2
- Due to serious performance issues with totem>3.0.1, we can't update totem to the latest version. We created an own totem fork to import upstream patches and remove the dependency on Python 2.7.
- UPower was updated to 0.99.11
- Mate Power Manager policy was adjusted to avoid suspending computer unless specifically overwritten by the user due to issues with wakeup on modern hardware.
- XScreensaver was updated to 5.44
- Gnome Connection Manager was updated to 1.2.0
- MiniDLNA was added
- XChat was removed
Common tools and libraries
- Caiman installer was switched to Python 3.5
- PKG was updated to use rapidjson instead of simplejson for json processing which reduced memory consumption on operations with large package catalogues
- DDU security issue, allowing a local attacker to gain root privileges under some rare cases, was fixed
- net-snmp was updated to 5.8
- Sudo was updated to 1.8.31
- mozilla-nspr libraries were updated to 4.25
- SQLite was updated to 3.31.1
- OpenConnect was updated to 8.05, vpnc-scripts to 20190606 version
- GNU Screen was updated to 4.8.0
- tmux was updated to 3.0a
- nano was updated to 4.8
Development tools and libraries
- GCC compilers were updated to 7.5.0, 8.4, 9.3. GCC 7 is the default oi-userland compiler now.
- Python was updated to 2.7.18, 3.5.9, a lot of python modules were updated
- Early PEP-538 variant was imported to Python 3.5 to fix IPS issues in C locale
- Clang 9 was added
- Guile was updated to 2.2.7
- Golang was updated to 1.13.8, 1.12.17
- OpenJDK was updated to 1.8.232, icedtea-web - to 1.8.3
- Ruby was updated to 2.6.6
- PHP was updated to 7.3.17
- Git was updated to 2.25.4
- Mercurial was updated to 5.3.2
- Glade was updated to 3.22.2
- GNU TLS 3 was updated to 3.5.19, GNU TLS 2 was removed
- Automake was updated to 1.16
- Glib was updated to 2.62
- Binutils were updated to 2.34
- PostgreSQL 12 was added, PostgreSQL 9.4 was removed, PostgreSQL 9.5 - 11 were updated to latest minor releases
- Barman was updated to 2.9. Server configurations should be updated. At least
archiver = onoption should be added to old configurations. Look at /usr/share/barman for examples.
- MariaDB was updated to 10.3.22, 10.1.44
- Redis 6.0.1 was added
- Apache was updated to 2.4.43
- Nginx was updated to 1.18.0.
- Lighttpd was updated to 1.4.55
- Tomcat was updated to 8.5.51
- Samba was updated to 4.12.1.
- Node.js was updated to 12.16.3, 10.18.1, 8.17.0
- BIND was updated to 9.16
- ISC DHCP was updated to 4.4.2
- Memcached was updated to 1.6.2
- OpenSSH was updated to 8.1p1
- OpenVPN was updated to 2.4.9
- kvm was updated to 20191007 version from Joyent's illumos-kvm repository
- qemu-kvm was updated to 20190827 version from Joyent's illumos-kvm-cmd repository
- tor was updated to 0.4.1.9
A lot of other bug fixes and minor software updates are included.
As always, we are proud to ship the latest illumos-gate bits (45de87).
Following developers contributed to the 2020.04 snapshot with more than 480 commits. We very much appreciate their contributions: Alexander Pyhalov, Andreas Grueninger, Andreas Wacknitz, Aurélien Larcher, Rouven Weiler, Gary Mills, Jim Klimov, John Levon, Michal Nowak, Nona Hansel, Solène Rapenne, svschmel, Till Wegmüller, Tim Mooney and Toomas Soome.